This is not the typical recipe that you think of but you’re going to love this grilled chicken parmesan. You absolutely will eat it and immediately think chicken parm, and who knows you might evan like it better!
Chicken parmesan recipes usually have breading on the chicken. Don’t get me wrong I love a good dredge with egg and breadcrumbs but something about this dish makes it so light and clean.
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on them I may get a small commission with no additional cost to you. you can read about my affiliate disclosure.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan Recipe
You are going to love how simple and quick this recipe is. If you love chicken parm than you’re going like the spin on this.
This recipe also makes a great chicken parm sandwich and you do not have to mess with the egg and doing the breading of the chicken parm. You can pair the dish with pasta and some garlic bread and really bring it to the next level!
- 1lb of chicken breast
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan
Prepare the Ingredients
Chop the onion and garlic
I like to chop the onion and garlic in a food processor or chop it really fine with a good knife. This makes the onion and garlic really fine.
This does two things to the dish. It makes the marinara silky smooth and it speeds up the cooking process.
Prepare the chicken
Slice the chicken breasts the long way so you create two thin pieces of chicken breast.
Add olive oil to the chicken and then season them with salt and pepper.
Preheat the grill
You want to go ahead and preheat the grill to 400 degrees. If it needs a good cleaning go ahead and do this before you heat it up!
Warning – The grill scrapers with the metal wire have been known to leave metal shards in people’s food and they can get stuck in people’s throats.
I prefer to use a wood scraper rather than the traditional grill brush, it is so much safer!
Saute the onions and garlic
Add the olive oil to your pan on the grill that you can cover later. Heat the oil up on medium heat and then add the onions and garlic.
Saute the onions and garlic until the onions start to caramelize. Keep an eye on them because you do not want them to burn.
Simmer and reduce the marinara sauce
Go ahead and add the crushed tomatoes to the pan. Stir in the tomatoes until it is all mixed in.
Let the sauce do its thing. You want it to reduce from the simmering so when you add it to the plate it’s not a watery mess.
How many calories in grilled chicken parmesan?
There are 527 calories per serving in our grilled chicken parmesan dish.
What do you eat with chicken parmesan?
I think an angel hair pasta and a really buttery garlic bread go well with chicken parmesan.
Grill the chicken
Take the chicken that you prepared and put it on the preheated grill. After a few minutes, you’re going to want to flip the chicken.
You want to grill the chicken to 160 degrees and then go ahead and add the sliced cheese.
After you get a melt on the cheese go ahead and pull the chicken. At this point, the chicken should be at the 165-degree mark.
Prepare the dish
Add some of the sauce to the dish of your choice. Lay the chicken on top of the sauce. Add some more sauce over the top of the chicken.
Sprinkle some of that parmesan cheese over top of the dish and get ready for some deliciousness.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 32 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz slices provolone cheese 4 slices, cut in half
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Slice your chicken breasts the long way making into thinner pieces.
- Coat the chicken with olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix well making sure everything gets evenly spread.
- Preheat your grill to 400 degrees.
- Chopped your onions and garlic
- Add the onions and garlic to a heated pan on medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Caramelize the onions and then add your crushed tomatoes. Let this simmer.
- Put your chicken thighs on the grill and close it. Check back in 5-7 minutes and then flip your chicken.
- Once your internal temperature reaches 160 degrees add your sliced provolone on top of the chicken. Close the grill and let the cheese melt. This will only take a minute or two.
- Check your chicken's temperature, should be 165 degrees by now so go ahead and pull it off
- Plate your chicken. Start with sauce on your plate, lay a piece of chicken on the sauce, add more sauce on top and then grate some fresh parmesan cheese over your dish. Now the best part… ENJOY!